Monday, June 1, 2015

From Dad

Hey Josh,
June is finally here. The heat is on. It's starting to get hot. I know we don't have anything to complain about compared to you. I know it's going to get blazing down there if it hasn't already. Maybe you can go around town with a cold wet rag on your face. I just had another idea. Maybe you could market the idea down there. You could get one of those masks that mexican professional wrestlers wear over their head out of some kind of cooling cloth. Wouldn't that be cool? (no pun intended)

Can you believe another week has gone by? Before you know it we will be telling you about Ty's wedding. Time goes by when you are busy. I've been busy for many years very busy so the time seems to fly by way too fast. If you ever think the time is going by slow you can think of two things. You can think about why you are not busy for one thing. Secondly you can think about how fast life will be going by when you have a full time job and raising your kids. When you get to that point in your life you will be wondering where the time goes. You will then realize what a blessing it is to be young like you are right now. There is always so much to be thankful for.

Today we had stake conference. It was a great conference. The theme was hope. There was a guy that gave an excellent talk about what it takes to keep hope alive. He told a story of when he went on a camping trip down in Zion's in the early spring. They set up camp and built a huge camp fire that was very hot. It was so hot that it started to rain lightly but they didn't care because the fire still kept them warm. They didn't even feel like setting up tents. They went to sleep and woke up freezing to death. The fire had gone out and it kept raining on them so they got soaked and cold. They woke up but couldn't get the fire started because everything got wet including the wood.  His point was that they simply should have kept the fire going and not gone to sleep. It was very profound to me. It's so easy to let the fire go out. If you stop your prayers, reading the scriptures, going to church, having family night or serving any way you can, your fire is going to go out. This hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm going to work a little harder on keeping my fire going. I can do better with all of the things I just told you. I tell you this because I remember how much prayers, reading scriptures, etc. are built into the mission life. There will never be another time in your life where doing those things is built into your life so much as it is on your mission. No one will be there to remind you and I tell you from experience it's easy to let it slide. I'm going to get a help with this because this week I start my temple assignement. I'm pretty excited about it. From now on for the next two years I will be at the temple from about 4pm to 10pm.  That seems like quite a sacrifice so this month I went to the temple every Tuesday. I thought it would get to be a pain but it was kind of the opposite. I started looking forward to each Tuesday. I think that will continue. I think when we really dig in and serve, it becomes very fulfilling. 

Your mission is a blessing to me. I've got you in my thoughts so much it gives me much more reason to pray. That's the way the Lord sets things up for us. When we really reach out and serve Him, He makes a way for us to have greater desire to be like Him. 

Have a good week Josh. Keep working. Pray for the gifts you need to be a great missionary. We will to.

Love Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment